Books

To share and discuss books.

 

I recently read "Harry's  Trees" by Jon Cohen and I enjoyed it very much.

And "Arcadia" by Lauren Groff which I liked though I'll admit the hippie/cult aspect felt a bit creepy. 

And a few other books I read that I thought very good,

"Little Big" by John Crowley

"The Law Of Love" by Laura Esquivel

"Here Be Dragons" by Sharon Kay Penman

"City of Lights' by Lauren Belfer 

"A Distant Mirror" by Barbara W. Tuchman

with a common thread of being otherworldly whether in time or fiction.

And I was wondering if  any of you have read anything by Ursula K. Le Guin, Isabel Allende or Phillip K. Dick?

                                                                                                                                   * Taffy * 


 


Comments

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed "Harry's Trees" and "Arcadia" (despite the creepy factor; I find Groff's writing to be quite beautiful.) I've enjoyed Ursula le Guin and Isabel Allende but don't think I've read any of Philip K. Dick yet. Books I've recently enjoyed (and recommend to anyone who will listen!) are both The Nix and Wellness by Nathan Hill, Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver (must be ready for tragedy), Remarkably Bright Creatures by by Shelby Van Pelt (more optimistic than my usual fare), and anything by Irish writer Tana French, especially her Dublin Murder Squad series. I'm sure I'll post about more soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, thanks for your opinion on the two authors and for the recommendations. And at some point I hope to add more of the books I like.

      Delete
  2. I've read The Left Hand of Darkness and The Lathe of Heaven. They were both really good. LHoD is my mother's favorite book (she hasn't been able to join the blog yet because of some weird gmail problem I have to sort out for her.)

    I just finished the Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe, who was a contemporary and friend of LeGuiin. It is amazing and bizarre. It takes a lot of dedication to get through--I think this was my fourth try, and I had to listen to an accompanying podcast to make sure I understood what was going on--but it was totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Christmas tree